Passa al contingut principal

Quick Tip: Double Expose for Better Landscapes


Surprised by a beautiful afternoon sunset over a field and caught without a graduated filter? You do not have to give up taking the picture. Your camera and a tripod will suffice. Today, we’ll look at a simple technique to overcome high contrast situations.




Open Bridge and select the pair of images that looks best and send them to Photoshop.

Many people are so dependent on gear that they forget that we can get pictures without too much equipment. The image of a sunflower field published in this article is such an example. I came across this field on a late afternoon trip, going out for some night sky photography, and I had no graduated filter to reduce the contrast between the sky and ground. Should I give up and go home? Nope!




In Photoshop you create a mask for the top image (here the sky picture) and paint over it to reveal the layer below, that represents the ground.

In fact, there are different ways to solve this problem, and this is just one of them, a simple one, that everyone can use without much trouble. I am not even thinking about a HDR (High Dynamic Range) solution, I just wanted to get the shot. And the easy way to do that, in my book, is to shoot two pictures. One for the sky, so I got the rich colors that made me stop, and the second shot to get details on the sunflower field.




The darker image, with a good representation of the sky as I saw it. But the sensor on my camera can not “see” the sunflower field I also saw.

Purists will probably say that this is not photography. I don’t care. I don’t even think I am cheating. I am just trying to get the camera to show what I saw with my eyes. It’s just the sensor that does not have the ability to see light the same way I do. In fact, the final picture, with an extra touch of color that I like, is what I saw. How did I do it?




To get details on the sunflower field I had to burn the sky, so most of the detail is lost. But in Photoshop I can fix that quickly, something that would take ages in film days.

First I took the two shots I mentioned, keeping the aperture constant between them (f/11), with exposures of 1/4 and 2 seconds. I took a few pairs, to be sure I had enough images to choose from, using a tripod and the camera with mirror raised up and the timer delay on 2 seconds.




After processing each layer, this is the final aspect of the image in Photoshop. It’s not an image created in Photoshop but a real representation of what I saw.

Once home I selected the images in Bridge and sent them to Photoshop CS6, stacked both layers in the same document, confirmed they’re precisely aligned and created a mask for the top layer (the one with the sky), to paint the bottom area so as to reveal the ground. Once I had done that, I selected the lighter layer and adjusted the exposure, contrast and vibrance to get the sunflowers the way I wanted. After doing that I just had to do the same on the top level, to get a bit more vibrant colors in the clouds and sky.




Sunset over the sunflower field in all its glory. A picture showing how easy it is to make better photographs if you learn to use your camera and the tools available.

After finishing working on each different layer, I merged them to save the final picture, which I sharpened a bit and that’s it. A great late afternoon picture taken with just a camera and a tripod. Try this yourself and see how easy it is to create images that really show what your eyes saw and not what your camera registers. Remember this technique the next time you find a situation where conventional exposure does not let you get everything right in a single shot.








via Phototuts+ http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/shooting-articles/quick-tip-double-expose-for-better-landscapes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Phototuts+%28Phototuts%2B%29

Comentaris

Entrades populars d'aquest blog

10 alternativas a Cuevana para ver películas online

10 alternativas a Cuevana para ver películas online : Durante este último tiempo, en Cuevana se sucedieron varios “problemas” por los cuales hubo que ajustar algunas cosas antes de tiempo (como el rediseño del sitio), que dejaron a algunos usuarios ciertos problemas para acceder a las películas o series del portal. Pero realmente esto es algo que no incumbe a los usuarios y, como sabemos, existen muchas otras alternativas a Cuevana dando vueltas por Internet, que intentaremos presentar aquí mismo. Los sitios que repasaremos funcionan del mismo modo que Cuevana, mediante la instalación de un plugin que permite visualizar los videos de Megaupload o WUShare, entre otros servicios, en una calidad de imágen realmente excelente. Tal como sucede con el más popular servicio, todos ellos tienen publicidad que en algunos casos resulta insoportable, pero como dice Federico en DotPod “a caballo regalado no se le miran los dientes”. Alternativas a Cuevana 1. Moviezet Posiblemente el mejor clon d

Sitio alternativo a Cuevana: Moviezet

Sitio alternativo a Cuevana: Moviezet : Nadie se quiere enfrentar al monstruo Cuevana , tan popular por estos días que es casi imposible ver tu serie favorita o tu película sin tener problema de saturación de tráfico. Pero hay proyectos muy sanos y prometedores, sobre todo porque están basados como una muy buena alternativa . Señores estamos hablando obviamente de un sitio alternativo a Cuevana, llamado Moviezet. Como bien dijimos, Moviezet es una excelente alternativa a Cuevana, ya que podremos ver películas y series de forma gratuita sin necesidad de que existan cortes – al mejor estilo Megavideo – y que podremos tener un seguimiento, es decir, si miramos una serie, podremos ver toda la lista con los capítulos disponibles. Lo que tiene de novedoso este sitio web Moviezet , es que tiene películas y series que quizá en Cuevana no se puedan conseguir, pero atención, que puede suceder lo mismo, pero al revés. Entonces aquí intervenimos nosotros y te daremos un sabio consejo, para no

Learn Composition from the Photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson

“Do you see it?” This question is a photographic mantra. Myron Barnstone , my mentor, repeats this question every day with the hopes that we do “see it.” This obvious question reminds me that even though I have seen Cartier-Bresson’s prints and read his books, there are major parts of his work which remain hidden from public view. Beneath the surface of perfectly timed snap shots is a design sensibility that is rarely challenged by contemporary photographers. Henri Cartier-Bresson. © Martine Franck Words To Know 1:1.5 Ratio: The 35mm negative measures 36mm x 24mm. Mathematically it can be reduced to a 3:2 ratio. Reduced even further it will be referred to as the 1:1.5 Ratio or the 1.5 Rectangle. Eyes: The frame of an image is created by two vertical lines and two horizontal lines. The intersection of these lines is called an eye. The four corners of a negative can be called the “eyes.” This is extremely important because the diagonals connecting these lines will form the breakdown